Alan Bennett's stage adaptation of The Wind in the Willows has become a classic in its own right.
Dec 1st to 8th 2018
Written by by Alan Bennett ( adapted from the novel by Kenneth Grahame )
Directed by Bill Butler
“Believe me, my young friend, there is absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In them or out of them, it doesn’t matter. Whether you get away or you don’t, whether you arrive at your destination or whether you never get anywhere at all, you’re always busy.”
Ever since Grahame’s novel was published in 1908 the characters of Ratty, Mole, Toad and Badger have delighted generations of readers. Alan Bennett’s adaptation is both true to the original yet carries the distinctive Bennett hallmark of delightfully witty jokes.
"Alan Bennett's stage adaptation of The Wind in the Willows has become a classic in its own right. If Kenneth Grahame's riverside characters were affectionate portraits of his friends, the enduring appeal of the stage version is that they seem to provide a composite of Bennett. There is Mole, the benign, quiet provincial peering at life through thick spectacles. Then Ratty, the urbane, Oxbridge-educated vole of letters, Badger, a gruff member of the establishment who doesn't like to be disturbed, and Toad, who might be seen as Bennett's wicked side.” Alfred Hickling. The Guardian.
Please note that there will be a matinée performance on the afternoon of Saturday 8th December.
CAST: Opportunities for male and female actors of all ages – including gender blind casting of the animal characters.
A second round of auditions will be held on the evening of Friday 25th May in the Auditorium, starting at 7.30p.m.
For more information, and copies of the audition pieces, please contact the Director of this show, Bill Butler, via the email address WITW2018@gmail.com
Please note: you will not be required to learn any of the pieces but you may wish to obtain a copy beforehand in order to prepare.
If you wish to be considered for the show but cannot make the audition session on the 25th May, please email Bill using the email address above and he will try to make alternative arrangements.
For any further information about this production please contact the Artistic Director via the email address email@example.com
- Bill Butler : Director
- Nicol Cortese : Toad
- Anne-marie Greene : Rat
- Matt Sweatman : Badger
- TBA : Mole Summer Marsden
- Cathryn Bowler : Chief Weasel
- Alan Fenn : Albert
- Emma Whewell : Otter, Wilfred, Clerk, Ticket Clerk
- Ted Mcgowan : Portly, Norman
- James Smith : Billy, Robert, Rupert
- TBA : Tommy, Gaoler's daughter - Shanice Christie
- Chris Ingall : Herbert, Harry, Police Officer
- Helen McGowan : Rose, Ronald, Bargewoman
- TBA : Shirley, Ian, Cyril - Madeline Levy
- Susan Hadlum : Raymond, Samuel, Washerwoman
- Lilian McGrath : Fox, Monica, Gypsy
- Pete Bagley : Parkinson, Magistrate
- TBA : Train Driver, Sgt. Fred
- Leonie Slater : Assistant Director
- Becky Cribdon : Stage Manager
- Ian Knight : Lighting Design
- Becky Bartlett : Sound Design
- Becky Bartlett : Sound Design
- Paul Chokran : Set Design
- Pam Coleman : Wardrobe
- Paul Chokran : Set Painting i/c
- Sally Patalong : Props
- Erica Young : Props
- Bill Young : Props
- Frances Dixon : Props