Alan Bennett's stage adaptation of The Wind in the Willows has become a classic in its own right.
Dec 1st to 8th 2018
Written by Alan Bennett (adapted from the novel by Kenneth Grahame)
Directed by Bill Butler
“Believe me, my young friend, there is absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In them or out of them, it doesn’t matter. Whether you get away or you don’t, whether you arrive at your destination or whether you never get anywhere at all, you’re always busy.”
Ever since Grahame’s novel was published in 1908 the characters of Ratty, Mole, Toad and Badger have delighted generations of readers. Alan Bennett’s adaptation is both true to the original yet carries the distinctive Bennett hallmark of delightfully witty jokes.
"Alan Bennett's stage adaptation of The Wind in the Willows has become a classic in its own right. If Kenneth Grahame's riverside characters were affectionate portraits of his friends, the enduring appeal of the stage version is that they seem to provide a composite of Bennett. There is Mole, the benign, quiet provincial peering at life through thick spectacles. Then Ratty, the urbane, Oxbridge-educated vole of letters, Badger, a gruff member of the establishment who doesn't like to be disturbed, and Toad, who might be seen as Bennett's wicked side.” Alfred Hickling. The Guardian.
This amateur production of "The Wind in the Willows" (Bennett) was presented by special arrangement with SAMUEL FRENCH LTD.
- Bill Butler : Director
- Nicol Cortese : Toad
- Anne-marie Greene : Rat
- Matt Sweatman : Badger
- TBA : Mole Summer Marsden
- Cathryn Bowler : Chief Weasel
- Alan Fenn : Albert
- Emma Whewell : Otter, Wilfred, Clerk, Ticket Clerk
- Ted Mcgowan : Portly, Norman
- James Smith : Billy, Robert, Rupert
- TBA : Tommy, Gaoler's daughter - Shanice Christie
- Chris Ingall : Herbert, Harry, Police Officer
- Helen McGowan : Rose, Ronald, Bargewoman
- TBA : Shirley, Ian, Cyril - Madeline Levy
- Susan Hadlum : Raymond, Samuel, Washerwoman
- Lilian McGrath : Fox, Monica, Gypsy
- Pete Bagley : Parkinson, Magistrate
- TBA : Train Driver, Sgt. Fred